- granted pursuant to P.D. No. 997, dated September 16, 1976, titled “Conferring Civil Service Eligibilities on Scientific and Technological Specialists on the Bases of Their Qualifications and the Requirements of Public Service”.
WHO ARE QUALIFIED FOR THE GRANT OF STSE
The STSE is conferred on an S&T Specialist who has at least a Bachelor’s degree in areas enumerated in Section 1 of the Rules and Regulations Implementing the Provisions of PD No. 997 (Revised 2009) and who meets any of the following additional requirements:
- At least three (3) years of continuous experience in research and/or teaching in the pertinent field, which may include specialized training in research, or teaching experience at the college level in one’s major field or field of specialization, or completion of a patented invention; or
- Has earned a master’s or doctorate degree in any of the fields of study enumerated under Section 1 of the Rules and Regulations Implementing the Provisions of PD No. 997 (Revised 2009) from a school recognized by the Commission on Higher Education at the time of filing of application.
DEFINITION AND COVERAGE OF FIELDS OF STUDY FOR STSE
Pursuant to Section 1 of the Rules and Regulations Implementing the Provisions of PD No. 997 (Revised 2009), which is in accordance with Section 2 of PD No. 997, the term “Scientific and Technological Specialist” shall refer to a person who has a highly technical qualifications gained through education and sharpened by research and experience, and completed at least a bachelor’s degree from a college, university, or institution recognized by the Commission on Higher Education, with major or specialization in any of the following fields of study:
a. Natural Sciences
Biology (S & T)
Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
b. Engineering Sciences
c. Mathematics and Information and Communication Technology
d. Other Disciplines
APPROPRIATENESS OF STSE
The STSE shall be considered appropriate for first and second level positions in the government that do not involve practice of profession and are not covered by Bar/board/other special laws.
DATE OF EFFECTIVITY OF STSE
The date of effectivity of the STSE shall be the date of approval of an application by the PD No. 997 Committee.
PERIOD OF FILING OF APPLICATION FOR STSE
Filing of applications for the grant of STSE is continuous.
ASSESSMENT/EVALUATION OF APPLICATION FOR STSE
Applications are assessed/evaluated by the Department of Science and Technology (DOST), through the PD 997 Committee, as to approval, or disapproval, for the grant of STSE.
Only approved applications are officially endorsed by the PD 997 Committee to the Civil Service Commission (CSC) Regional Office concerned for the grant of STSE by way of processing and issuance of the corresponding Certificate of Eligibility.
- Upon Filing of Application at the Department of Science and Technology (DOST)
1. Duly accomplished CS Form 101-C, Revised Dec. 2011;
2. Three (3) pieces of identical I.D. pictures taken within the last three (3) months prior to filing of application with specifications, as follows:
a. Passport size (4.5 cm x 3.5 cm)
b. Printed on quality photo paper;
c. In white background;
d. In standard close-up shot (from shoulder level up with the head and face occupying at least 80% of the picture and with the name tag positioned at approximately 1” below the chin);
e. In bare face (without eye glasses/colored contact lens, or any accessory that may cover facial features; facial features not computer-enhanced);
f. Showing left and right ears; and
g. With full name tag:
- The name tag must legibly show the applicant’s signature over complete printed name in the format First Name-Middle Initial-Last Name-Extension Name (if any); and
- The name tag should not be computerized, meaning, the applicant should have his/her picture taken while holding his/her written name tag.
3. Assessment fee of PhP100.00 payable to DOST; and
4. Five (5) copies of each of the following documents:
a. Duly certified statement of duties and responsibilities;
b. Original and photocopy of transcript of records and diploma. The original copy shall be returned to the applicant after authentication of the photocopy;
c. Recommendation from head of office or school on the application for PD 997 eligibility, which shall include a statement regarding his/her assessment of the applicant’s research or teaching proficiency;
d. List of S&T subjects taught/being taught and the duration of teaching said subjects, duly certified by the Dean of the school; and
e. Other documents such as:
- Published research paper/technical reports for concluded scientific research, or progress reports for researches still in progress. The reports must be certified as true copy by authorities to whom the original copies were submitted;
- Certification of research proficiency indicating the title of scientific research project/s the applicant has participated in and the duration and nature of participation and/or responsibilities of the applicant in the research project; and
- Certificate of patented invention if available.
- Upon Claiming of Certificate of Eligibility at the Civil Service Commission (CSC) Regional Office
1. Original and photocopy of any of the following I.D. cards, which must be valid (not expired) upon filing of application, and bears the applicant’s complete name, picture and signature, and the issuing officer’s name and signature:
a. Current Office/Company I.D.
b. School I.D (must be duly validated for the current school year)
c. GSIS UMID
d. SSS I.D.
e. Passport (with signature of the applicant)
f. Driver’s License
g. PRC License
h. BIR/TIN I.D. (ATM type/laminated card with picture type)
i. Police Clearance (with picture)
j. Voter’s I.D.
k. PhilHealth I.D. (ATM type)
l. Postal I.D.
m. Barangay I.D.
Note: Any other I.D. card NOT included in the above list shall NOT be accepted. Alumni, association, membership, and health I.D.s, including ATM cards, shall NOT be accepted.
2. Original and photocopy of Birth Certificate of the applicant authenticated/issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO);
Note: In case where the NSO-issued Birth Certificate is not legible, or the NSO has duly issued a Negative Certification of Birth (NSO CRS Form No. 1) printed in NSO security form, the applicant shall, in addition, be required to submit the original and photocopy of his/her Birth Certificate that is authenticated/issued by the Local Civil Registrar (LCR).
3. For female married applicants, original and photocopy of Marriage Certificate authenticated/issued by the NSO;
Note: In case where the NSO-issued Marriage Certificate is not legible, the applicant shall, in addition, be required to submit the original and photocopy of his/her Marriage Certificate that is authenticated/issued by the Local Civil Registrar (LCR).
4. Certification executed by the applicant that he/she has no pending administrative and/or criminal case before any court/authorized body, and that he/she has never been found guilty/convicted of any administrative offense and/or crime, using the prescribed CSC SPEL Form 1, April 2012; and
5. If filing of the application is through a representative:
- Authorization letter executed by the applicant; and
- Original and photocopy of at least one (1) valid I.D. card of the representative as listed under Item no. 3 hereof.
WHERE TO FILE APPLICATIONS FOR STSE
Properly accomplished (CS Form 101-C (Revised Dec. 2011), together with the rest of the documentary requirements upon filing of application, must be submitted either through the DOST/CSC Regional Offices, or direct to the DOST Head Office at the following address:
PD 997 Committee
c/o PD 997 Secretariat, Personnel Division
Department of Science and Technology
Gen. Santos Ave., Bicutan
1631 Taguig City
SCHEDULE OF FEES
The schedule of fees for the grant of STSE is, as follows:
Title of Fee
Amount of Fee
When to be Paid
Payable to DOST Head Office upon filing of
Payable to CSC upon claiming of Certificate of